Looking for an elegant and delicious dinner for that special someone or the guests at your next dinner party? Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken will dazzle them! The presentation with cheesy, garlicky spinach spilling out on the plate is perfect! Our stuffed chicken recipe is one of our favorites and we love the blend of flavors and textures. It takes a little effort, but we keep it simple and definitely low carb. Each stuffed chicken breast has only 4g of carbohydrates.
We made this recently for Joanie’s Sisters and their spouses who were here on their annual Arizona vacation. It was so delicious we made it again last night for just the two of us. We use a bit more garlic and smoked paprika when cooking for ourselves, since we are big fans of these tastes. The recipe we are posting is our normal recipe. Feel free to add more spices to your taste.
Ingredients and Cooking Tips
We eat a lot of chicken. It is low carb, healthy, and loaded with protein. We use free range chicken and always look for organic. The same applies to the baby spinach – look for organic. Fresh is the name of the game! We remember making this dish once with frozen drained spinach for convenience and the taste was just not the same. You will, however, need a lot of fresh spinach as it wilts down consideraby when heated; but, it is delicious in this recipe. If you choose to add more spinach you should also add an extra ounce of softened cream cheese to the mixture.
The spinach stuffing is the key to the recipe. Chicken can be bland and usually needs a suace or spiced blend to add a unique flavor. Bacon and spinach enhanced with garlic and smoked paprika will do the trick! We have also seen recipes using chopped artichoke hearts in the mixture and that would also be delicious.
Sauté the garlic on low heat since you are using butter and do not want either to burn. We usually stir the garlic in the butter so it does not become too dark; but, we do want the flavors to meld together.
We do recommend using very thinly sliced bacon and partially cooking it in the microwave. It will be easier to wrap around the rolled chicken and will crisp up faster if it is pre-cooked. The broiler is also a great idea to finish off the bacon for a couple minutes at the end of the baking time. You may also wish to place a cooling rack in your baking pan to elevate your chicken. This way the bacon fat will be below the cooked chicken.
Toothpicks are needed to hold the chicken together and so the bacon does not fall away from the chicken when baking. They should be easy to remove before serving. A garnish of chopped parsley or cilantro is a nice touch for presentation – simple and elegant.
Keto Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken – Cheesy, Garlicky, Spinach, and Delicious Chicken!
Plate your Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken with a delicious side dish and you will have that elegant dinner for two . . . or more! We would recommmed our Low Carb Cauliflower Au Gratin or our Cauliflower Mash. If you wish to stay with the bacon theme, pair it with our Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pine Nuts. Even a simple green bean almondine with bacon would be a perfect side. Remember, keep it Tasty Low Carb!
- Carefully butterfly the chicken breasts and then pound until thin (about 1/4 inch).
- Place bacon strips on a plate between paper towels and microwave for 1 minute.
- In a medium sized skillet sauté chopped garlic in butter for 2 minutes over low heat. Be careful not to burn.
- Add softened cream cheese and stir for 1 minute, until melted. Add baby spinach in batches and stir until wilted and blended with the cream cheese, butter, and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place thinly sliced mozzarella cheese over the flattened chicken breast then top with the spinach mixture. Roll up carefully. Wrap with 2 slices of bacon and secure with rounded toothpicks.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken roll ups with smoked paprika and bake in a shallow baking pan (cookie sheet) at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove and set oven to broil and return to oven for 2-3 minutes to crisp the bacon.