Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread describes the toppings, the sauce, and the base for this recipe. Three components to a delicious low-carb “snack meal” or “appetizer.” Flatbreads are all the rage in today’s bistros and appetizer bars. We think of them as a thin rectangular-shaped pizza crust; but, other cultures might call them Pita bread, Nan, Focaccia, Tortillas, or Beiju made with tapioca. Traditionally, you have wheat flour, salt. and water and some type of leavening agent. It must also meet one more test – it must be flat. No surprise there, since it is called “flatbread.”
Wheat flour means carbs so we now avoid ordering these tasty appetizers when we are out. We were not happy about that because the choices of toppings and uses are endless. We have tried various combinations of bread and use them often (Soul bread and Cloud bread). You will also find recipes for English muffins and taco shells in our blog. Now we want to share the perfect substitute for flatbread. It is low carb, tasty, and so bread-like you will swear you are eating a traditional flatbread. You will love this one for its taste and versatility!
Our flatbread base is a three cheese combination with cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan. Eggs hold it together, help it to rise, and keep it low carb. Our leavening agent is baking powder. For volume, we use crushed chicharrones and just a bit of coconut flour. We have also made this recipe without coconut flour and see little taste difference, but it seems to add to the bread-like texture.
You can also add your favorite spices to the dough. We like the combination of garlic powder and dried basil. You will smell those flavors when it is baking and the amounts we use give a distinct, yet mild flavor.We use this bread recipe a lot simply on its own or for dipping in sauces when we make mussels or garlic shrimp. It is also perfect dipping into a mixture of olive oil and balsamic as an appetizer in itself. It is so versatile!
Once you have the flatbread down the toppings are your choice. Covered with shredded mozzarella makes it a thin crusted pizza. We choose very low-carb toppings for our flatbread pizzas. For this recipe we used shredded rotisserie chicken breast. After Thanksgiving dinner you may even try some of your leftover turkey breast. It works great! We also added a lot of chopped cooked bacon, a little onion, and used Joanie’s ranch dip as our sauce. The perfect combination!
When the dough is formed and you begin to spread it out on your baking dish you will notice immediately that it has a very sticky consistency. That is exactly what you want. But, it does become a little difficult to spread without pulling apart and sticking to itself. We lightly oil our parchment paper or you can simply use an oiled baking pan. We also use the back of a large spoon that has been coated with olive oil to make the dough spread. An offset metal spatula would work well. The nice part is the shape of a traditional flatbread is not a perfect rectangle – round your edges and it will work fine. Just be patient.
Make sure that your cream cheese and mozzarella for the flatbread are thoroughly melted. Microwaves do vary. Ours takes about 2 1/2 minutes on high in total with a stir in between and at the end to be fully melted and combined. Stir in the other ingredients before spreading and baking the bread.
Once the flatbread has cooled you are ready to assemble with your toppings. For this recipe it serves as a thin crusted pizza shell so after topping and baking we cut it into slices. If you want to use the flatbread for sandwiches, Panninis, or for cheesy bread, or dipping sauces just cut it into the shape you need after cooling and store it like any bread.
For our Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread recipe we topped it and then baked it right on a cooling rack that fits inside a baking pan, but a pizza stone would work well. We like a crispy shell. Going to a neighborhood party? Cut your slices small for a “finger-food” appetizer. For us, the Chicken Bacon Ranch was our evening meal, with leftovers the next day for lunch. It tasted super the next day when re-heated in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes!
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread – A Perfect Appetizer or Snack Meal!
When finished you will have the perfect flatbread pizza! The crust will be thin like a flatbread should be – yet taste exactly like bread. The toppings will make it delicious. We just love the combination of shredded chicken with bacon on top of a ranch dipping sauce. The flatbread should become an essential part of your low-carb lifestyle!
Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread
Chicken Bacon Ranch Toppings
- 1 Flatbread (see above)
- 5 ounces Rotisserie chicken breast (cooked, then shredded)
- 10 pieces Bacon (cooked and chopped)
- ¼ cup Ranch dip (see above)
- 6 ounces Mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ¼ large Onion (slivered)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Moisten the paper with a drizzle of olive oil – spread lightly.
- The cream cheese and mozzarella should be microwaved for 75 seconds on high, stirred, then microwaved again for 75 seconds on high until melted. Stir again to combine.
- Add the eggs, Parmesan, coconut flour, chicharrones, spices, and baking powder to the bowl and combine. Stir well.
- Spread evenly onto the parchment paper lined pan making a loosely configured rectangle. You may need to spread the batter with the back of a spoon that has been oiled.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is lightly browned. Cool the pan for 15 minutes, remove the flatbread and let cool an additional 15 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Assembly
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cook the flatbread on a pizza stone or baking pan.
- Spread the ranch dip evenly over the flatbread (up to 1/2 inch from ends). Spread the Mozzarella evenly over the flatbread, followed by the chicken and chopped bacon pieces. The slivered onions on top should go last. Add any other topping before baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and chicken has a slight baked look to its edges. Cut into 12 pieces and serve hot.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.