This should be labeled “Easy Tasty Chicken Parmesan.” The carbs are lowered by eliminating the breading process. No dredging in flour, egg, and bread crumbs. An added bonus is the straight tomato puree requires no prep or sauce preparation. We came across this chicken parmesan recipe years ago and have never felt the need for changes. Somehow the blend of the basic tomato puree and the melted cheese provides a treat to the palate. Also, there are less carbs than the breaded recipes and we find the taste even better.
We spent our day today shopping for post holiday bargains and needed something quick, tasty, and with very low carb, naturally! Does that sound like a typical day in your life? This chicken parmesan recipe is delicious and can be ready quickly. It is definitely one that will satisfy that craving for Italian food and without much effort.
Quality Ingredients Add Taste
The ingredients are so simple. We stress that with simple ingredients it becomes more imperative to make sure you go for quality. We love the Cento brand for all tomato recipes. Years ago everyone opined that Red Pack brands were the only ones to use for true tomato flavor; Cento is our new favorite. They are vine-ripened plum tomatoes and they never use re-constituted tomatoes.
Top quality cheese is also very important. We blend a quality grated mozzarella with real Parmigiano Reggiano. You cannot top the nutty flavor this parmesan provides. It makes the dish. Oregano and fresh basil round out the ingredients and provide all the flavor this chicken parmesan dish needs to earn that “tasty” label.
The chicken is grilled for only three minutes on each side to sear a nice crust – do not over cook as it will be finished in the oven. The olive oil also provides a lot of flavor. If your chicken breasts are thick you should pound them between two pieces of plastic wrap so they are about one-half inch thick. Making them too thin will result in a tough breast since they will be baking in the oven. We generally use tomato puree, but if you prefer a thinner sauce, straight tomato sauce works great. Be generous with the sauce. It will cook the chicken evenly; when the cheese begins to bubble your meal is ready. If you prefer a browner crust on top turn your oven to broil for the last couple minutes.
Enjoy this Italian-American classic, made quick and easy, and, of course, Tasty Low Carb!
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless skinless)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tomato sauce or puree
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (shredded)
- 1/3 cup parmesan (grated)
- salt and pepper
- Lay the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to half inch size.
- Heat the live oil in a large skillet. While the oil is heating, season the chicken with salt and pepper, and oregano.
- Sauté the chicken over medium-high heat until golden, about three minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a shallow baking dish. They will finish cooking in the oven.
- Pour tomato puree over the chicken and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and then parmesan to top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted and lightly golden.