Nothing says Valentine’s Day more than Dark Chocolate Dipped Strawberries! Okay, these chocolate strawberries do pack nearly 10g of carbs. But, it is a special day to indulge. Using unsweetened dark chocolate chips sweetened with Stevia can make these low carb and still delicious. Our recipe also uses a low carb frosting instead of more chocolate for our white swirls. It is a simple and quick way to “show the love” to your special valentine!
Around this special holiday it is usually easy to find perfect strawberries. So many people associate dipped strawberries with Valentine’s Day that we find an abundance of large beautiful berries at our local market. Look for berries with the “stems on” so you can hold the stem when dipping. They also make a nicer presentation.
The berries do contain natural sugars so we use no-sugar-added chocolate chips. We like Lilly’s Dark Chocolate Premium Baking Chips – they are sweetened with Stevia. You can usually find these at Whole foods or simply click our link and purchase them directly. They come in a 9-ounce package which is much more than you need for 12 berries. Dark chocolate has been touted recently for its health benefits. You can use milk chocolate if you prefer, but we like the look of the dark chocolate with the frosting swirls.
Coconut oil is the only other ingredient needed for the chocolate dip. It adds a shimmer to the dip and gives a nice smooth appearance to your finished Valentine treat. Many recipes use white chocolate for swirling and simply repeat the melting process. It is harder to find unsweetend white chocolate chips, so for this recipe we stuck with our low-carb white frosting that we use for other toppings. It is cream cheese based with heavy cream for a spreading texture. The sweetener we use for frosting is Sukrin Melis. It is a delicious powdered sugar substitute.
A most important tip to follow for perfectly dipped strawberries is to make sure you thoroughly dry the berries after rinsing. Not only do we pat dry our rinsed berries, but we also allow them to air dry for 20 minutes. If your dip does not stick moisture is the likely culprit.
We use a double-boiler to melt our chocolate chips and coconut oil to a smooth consistency, but a mircrowave with 20 second bursts and stirring in between will also do the trick. If you prefer a more chocolate treat you can dip the berries a second time, but if you use quality chocolate this should not be necessary. Parchment paper works well on a baking dish to allow the chocolate to harden and will easily fit in your refrigerator to speed up the cooling process. Wax paper or Silpat will also work well.
We use a piping tool with a narrow stem to make the swirls on our chocolate strawberries. However, you can easily use a plastic bag. Just squeeze the frosting or melted white chocolate, if your prefer, into the corner of the plastic bag and then cut a small whole in the bottom corner. Your frosting can then be drizzled or swirled over your cooled berries. Then return the covered berries back to the refrigerator to cool the frosting. You can also add additional ingredients for coating. This is done while the chocolate is still firming up and can include chopped nuts or unsweeyened coconut flakes.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Dipped Dark Chocolate Strawberries – A Special Low Carb Valentine Treat!
We both feel like we have the perfect Valentine! We enjoyed making Dark Chocolate Strawberries for this special day. Reward your special Valentine with this Tasty Low Carb delight and add a champagne toast!
Dipped Dark Chocolate Strawberries
- 3 tablespoons Sukrin Melis (powdered sugar substitute)
- 2 ounces Cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons Heavy cream
- Rinse your fresh strawberries under cool water and thoroughly pat dry. Spread on paper towels and let air dry for 20 minutes.
- Fill the bottom of a double-boiler or medium saucepan with two inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in the top of your double-boiler or a glass bowl and allow the mixture to melt, stir occasionally.
- Evenly space your berries on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the chocolate filled bowl next to you. One-by-one hold your strawberries by the stem and dip into the chocolate. Turn to coat well.
- Return each berry to the baking sheet and place the pan in the refrigerator to cool at least 10 minutes.
- To prepare the frosting, mix the sweetener with the softened cream cheese. Add the heavy cream and stir again until smooth. Place in a piping tool.
- Drizzle the dark chocolate covered berries with the frosting. Try to do more than one berry at a time with a long motion to drizzle over the sides. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.