Keto Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken is a perfect low-carb pasta recipe. When we think of Squash, we think of Fall weather, comfort food, delicious soup, and in our Keto kitchen, Spaghetti Squash. Joanie loves the way the baked squash can be scraped into a pasta noodle-like shape and the way gooey cheese and garlic seasoning can be used to create a WOW dish! For tonight’s dinner Joanie added chunks of rotisserie chicken and Hatch chiles to her base cheese and garlic recipe for a unique creation.
Much like Zucchini noodles or “Zoodles,” spaghetti squash is a vegetable noodle. When baked, the meat of the squash will fall away into strands or ribbons that can replace wheat-based pasta for a delicious Keto alternative. Recipes abound using red marinara sauces, meat sauces, greek feta and tomato sauces, and Alfredo style sauces featuring cheese and cream. The latter is very Keto and so delicious!
We have previously posted some delicious Zucchini noodle recipes that you may also want to try. Here are a few links:
- Zucchini Linguine with Langostinos
- Zucchini Noodles with Bolognese Sauce
- Zucchini Noodle Alfredo with Garlic Shrimp
The spaghetti squash is the main ingredient of the recipe. It is much different than butternut squash. When baked you will be able to rake it into stringy spaghetti-like strands; thus, the name spaghetti squash. Joanie found some beautiful spaghetti squash at the market today and as a result, it was “pasta night.”
In addition, Joanie’s recipe calls for a 4 cheese blend. You can use pretty much any cheese you have on hand. Joanie had cheddar, jarlsberg, parmesan, and mozzarella. They all have unique flavors and when grated and blended they produce a delicious cheesy feature for the spaghetti. Chicken stock and heavy cream will thin out the sauce and allow for even coating and garlic is a must for taste. To make a more hearty meal, Joanie added chunks of rotisserie chicken and some green Hatch chiles for a kick.
The first preparation tip is how to cook the spaghetti squash correctly to produce the unique spaghetti strands. Simply cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membrane. Then coat the squash inside and out with olive oil and bake face side down in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. Use a sheet pan lined with foil. Allow the baked squash to cool for 10 minutes and then use a fork to rake the flesh of the squash to remove the spaghetti strands. You will be amazed at the amount of strands each squash will produce. It will mound high on a dinner plate.
While the squash is baking in the oven you can combine the cheeses with the chicken stock and cream. Then add the chunks of chicken and the spices to form a creamy cheesy sauce. Add your spaghetti strands and fold together until they are all coated with the cheese sauce. Next, fill each squash shell with half the mixture, top with some creole seasoning and a few spoonfuls of cheddar. Then broil in your oven for 2 minutes until the cheese browns on top and bubbles.
All that is left is to plate a helping and top with some green onions. You will think you are enjoying a delicious cheesy pasta dish at your favorite Italian restaurant. You will be, only at home! This one is surprisingly low in carbs and one squash can feed a family.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken – A Perfect Low-Carb Pasta
Keto Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken is a perfect low-carb pasta! Four delicious cheese and loaded with tender chicken and Hatch chiles yields a unique and flavorful Italian pasta. This one is a real Keto keeper for your low-carb journey. It is definitely Tasty Low Carb!
Keto Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Chicken
- 1 Spaghetti squash (halved and seeds and membranes removed)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil (for brushing)
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- ½ cup Chicken stock (only use Gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (grated)
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ½ cup Jarlsberg cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 cups Chicken (diced rotisserie)
- 4 ounces Green Hatch chiles
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 Green onions (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and remove membrane and seeds. Then brush both sides with olive oil, inside and out. Bake on a foil lined baking sheet until tender (45 minutes) with the cut side down.
- While the squash is baking, in a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic powder, chicken stock, heavy cream, and seasonings.
- Stir in cheeses (reserve 1/4 cup cheddar) and mix until all are melted and combined. Add chicken chunks and green chiles and combine while cooking for 3 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven allow the squash to cool upright for 10 minutes. Using a fork, rake the inside of the squash and move the spaghetti to the skillet. Stir until completely combined and heat through (5 minutes).
- Fill each half of the squash shells with the mixture from your skillet. Sprinkle the additional grated cheddar cheese on top of each half and the creole seasoning. Broil until cheese is bubbly (2 minutes).
- Garnish with green onions and serve on plates.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.