Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala is a delicious Italian-American recipe that can be prepared and served in one skillet. You will go from your stove to the table in 30 minutes. It is certainly a classic “restaurant menu dish.” You would be hard pressed to find a fancy restaurant that doesn’t have their own version. It is also a low-carb classic. As a result, we felt we had to include Chicken Marsala on our site. Joanie’s recipe is loaded with perfectly sautéed mushrooms, garlic, shallots, and a creamy mushroom gravy.
We also have a similar wine, garlic, and mushroom gravy chicken recipe with chicken dredged in coconut flour. Our Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic Wine Sauce is delicious and made similarly in one skillet. But, this chicken recipe has that unique Marsala wine taste. The wine is from Sicily and can be found in a sweet or savory version. We like the sweet Marsala for this recipe. Like Spanish Sherry, it is a fortified wine, processed in a similar manner.
You can use whole chicken breasts and pound them into thinner versions. We prefer chicken tenderloin for this recipe. The tenderloin of the chicken is actually a part of the breast that is not attached to the ribs. The breast meat can be purchased with or without the bones. But, a tenderloin is boneless. It is much like a tenderloin of beef or pork. However, a chicken tenderloin is smaller and less in demand than the actual breast meat. The tenderloin is often used for fried tenders or strips. They are a perfect white meat for Chicken Marsala.
The Marsala wine is the key ingredient. We use sweet Marsala, but you can use a dry or savory Marsala instead. It will lower the carbs, for sure. Actually, we have also seen semisecco versions of Marsala that are in between sweet and savory. Traditionally it was served as an aperitif between the first and second courses of a meal. However, in our restaurants when someone says “Marsala” it is generally thought of as a cooking wine.
Joanie’s recipe is much easier than it may appear. Some panic immediately when they see a wine reduction. However, while you reduce the wine and stock, you prepare the remaining meal in one-skillet. It is a thirty-minute masterpiece. As a result, it has long been a favorite in higher-end restaurants and for elegant at-home dinners. The chicken tenders are cooked first and reserved in a foil pouch to keep warm. However, make sure when you add the cooked chicken back to the gravy that you include the juices from the foil pouch. So flavorful!
Most importantly, make sure that you do not overcook the mushrooms. They should be slightly browned and wilted before adding the wine and chicken stock reduction. For a better presentation you may wish to remove half the mushrooms before making the gravy You can then use them as a topping. Joanie likes to reserve a few for presentation and let most flavor the gravy. Above all, you do not want mushy black mushrooms.
In addition, Joanie also likes to add stone ground mustard to the gravy sauce. The hint of mustard is delicious and makes the dish. Don’t worry if your gravy is thin. It will thicken as it cools. You can add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet to your chicken gravy to darken it for presentation.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala – Mushrooms in a Creamy Sweet Marsala Gravy
Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala is thick and creamy with just a bit of sweetness from the wine. A load of wine drenched mushrooms will flavor the seasoned chicken! From stove to table in 30 minutes! Joanie’s classic Chicken Marsala is perfect for an elegant at-home Tasty Low Carb dinner! Try this one tonight!
Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 1 cup Marsala wine (sweet)
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 8 Chicken tenders (breast meat)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 12 Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 Shallot (sliced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (chopped fine)
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Stone ground mustard
- Parsley (garnish)
Keto Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Heat the Marsala wine and chicken broth in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to boil reduce the temperature to medium and let boil until reduced in half.
- While the reduction is taking place, sprinkle chicken tenders on both sides with garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add one-half the oilive oil and one-half the butter, and chicken tenders. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping once – wrap in foil set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add three tablespoons of the Marsala reduction which should still be cooking and quickly scrape the bottom of the skillet with a spatula. Add the rest of the olive oil and butter and the mushrooms and stir, cooking about 4 minutes until starting to brown and wilt. Remove 1/2 the mushrooms for garnish. Add the sliced shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the Marsala wine and chicken broth reduction and bring to bubble, cook for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and mustard and stir for 3 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add back the chicken and juices from the foil wrap. Baste the chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Take off heat and serve garnished with chopped parsley and reserved mushrooms.