Keto Lasagna Noodle Pasta – yes, you can! No need to skip the noodles or substitute with zucchini strips, cauliflower, or thinly sliced cabbage. You can even ignore the usual Keto Lasagna Casserole. Instead, make cheesy dough noodles and enjoy the taste of old-fashioned classic lasagna. Make this tonight and see if your family can guess. We think it tastes better than the original!
Last week, Joanie was craving lasagna. With a Keto lifestyle this would only be a distant memory. The pasta noodles are wheat-based and loaded with carbs. So, Joanie made a zucchini lasagna casserole in a Dutch oven with zucchini rounds, ground beef, tomato sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella cheese. It was delicious. The leftovers were just as good. While enjoying this delicious recipe we both had a lightbulb go off in our heads. We make cheesy bread, cloud bread, and flatbreads all with cheesed egg – why not a thin cheesy pasta sized noodle.
The rest was easy. Cheesy bread is so simple. Basically, a combination of egg, shredded mozzarella, and seasoning is all that is needed. Joanie adds her own touch by using softened cream cheese, baking powder, and some garlic powder. In addition, Joanie added some fresh basil to this cheesy noodle. Her recipe creation is for Italian lasagna. So, basil adds the perfect Italian flavor. Joanie says the cream cheese in the recipe makes the noodle!
These cheesy bread noodles also make a perfect garlicky flatbread. Add some parmesan to the recipe and have bread sticks for dunking in your favorite marinara sauce. Cut them smaller and you have a base for a delicious stacked appetizer. Just choose your favorite toppings.
Everyone has their own recipe for lasagna filling. Joanie likes a classic lasagna using ground beef and tomato sauce flavored with onion, red pepper flakes, garlic, and Italian seasonings. Layers of Ricotta cheese are essential and plenty of mozzarella. We both like a hint of parmesan for garnish. The nutty flavor and texture of the parmesan is classic for topping lasagna. I have always been a fan of using Italian sausage or even Italian hot sausage in combination with the ground beef. But, I defer to the master chef of the family and appreciate her choices!
The cheesy noodles are simple. We use a food processor to blend the ingredients and form the dough. Joanie is now using her new Breville Sous Chef almost daily. It is a kitchen appliance that is definitely worth having – it is the top-of-the-line! Likewise, you probably have heard the old saying that everyone should have a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for their kitchen and that they last forever. We feel the same way about a food processor. It is worth it to get the best!
The key tip is to spread the cheesy noodle dough thinly on a parchment-lined baking pan. Use the back of a spoon or offset spatula for easier spreading. The dough will look like it has a bit too much liquid. Not to worry. It will also not be completely smooth. It will smooth out as it cooks. Above all, make sure the dough is as thin as possible.
We like to use a standard square (8 X 8 inch) baking dish for assembly and baking. Too avoid a runny and messy lasagna you should allow the baked dish to be cooled for a solid result. It will taste great, but look messy if it is cut too soon. It is hard to wait too long – the smells alone of the cooked lasagna will beckon you!
Assembly instructions are found in the recipe below. You are simply layering the ingredients to obtain that classic lasagna look and taste. Also, the finished baked product will freeze well. However, you may find that the recipe is so delicious there will be nothing left to freeze!
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Lasagna Noodle Pasta with Ricotta and Meat Sauce
The next time you crave classic lasagna do not skip the noodles to stay Keto. Hold the zucchini for a casserole version. And, try our simple Tasty Low Carb lasagna recipe with cheesy noodles. It is so delicious! Enjoy a new classic – Keto Lasagna Noodle Pasta with Ricotta and Meat Sauce!
Keto Lasagna Noodle Pasta Recipe
- 4 ounces Cream cheese (softened)
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese (part skim, low moisture)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Basil (chopped)
- 1 ½ pounds Ground beef (80-20 blend)
- 1 medium Onion (diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounces Crushed tomatoes (Cento)
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons Basil (chopped)
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella (shredded)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place all of the lasagna noodle ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth thick consistency. Pour the noodle batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. The back of a spoon or spatula will work well.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes – do not burn. Allow to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- Use a large skillet add the ground beef, cooking over medium heat until browned. About 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, and cook for 3 minutes until soft. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes. Your ground meat should now be browned. Dain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and 1/2 of chopped basil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Slice the cheese noodle into thirds. These will fit into a standard 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Add a layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Next use one-third (one layer) of the noodles over the meat sauce.
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta on top of the noodle.. Add 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and another layer of the meat sauce. Repeat with the second noodle.
- Add the last noodle and top with the remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top.
- Bake the lasagna for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. If the top becomes too brown, cover with foil for last few minutes. If too light, you can always broil for a minute or two.
- Let cool before cutting. Garnish with some chopped basil and parmesan cheese.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.
We are going to try this tonight!! It looks amazing!!
I so hope you enjoy our lasagna. Keto pasta is always a challenge, but this one is tasty. Thanks for the kind words . . . Joanie.