Keto Lasagna Stuffed Chicken combines gooey cheese with delicious marinara sauce. It is all stuffed inside a baked chicken breast. You get the taste of lasagna and the low-carb benefits of chicken. The chicken replaces the carb-laden pasta. This is real “comfort food.” The kind of recipe Joanie makes often. It also consists of simple ingredients that you likely have in your pantry. What could be better!
Joanie does make a Keto version of her regular lasagna. Her Keto Lasagna Noodle Pasta Recipe incorporates our low-carb cheesy noodle recipe with traditional lasagna ingredients. The Keto noodles are delicious, but do take a bit more work. Joanie also makes a delicious Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu with Mustard Sauce. Taking these two Keto recipes, and combining the methodology for each, provided the idea for this recipe.
This recipe starts with fresh chicken breasts as the main ingredient. We like to look for organic. But the key is the filling of ricotta and mozzarella cheeses. An egg holds it all together. The egg also adds to the creaminess. Italian spices are definitely needed for lasagna flavor, and Joanie loves using fresh basil. The stuffing is very similar to the layers in a traditional lasagna. There is an ample amount of homemade marinara throughout.
We have previously posted our homemade marinara sauce. That recipe is duplicated below. It provides flavor inside the stuffed chicken and also as a topping. Again, think classic lasagna. You might also want to expand on that basil flavor and try Joanie’s homemade Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce. We use that for a meatloaf topping. But, it would be superb in our Keto Lasagna Stuffed Chicken.
Joanie chose to butterfly the chicken breasts for this recipe. It gives you the look of traditional lasagna. Since you are using the butterfly approach, the chicken replaces the noodles. If you prefer, you can simply cut a pocket in each chicken breast and then stuff them like you would in most stuffed chicken recipes. You might also pound the chicken thin and roll after filling. You would then have a chicken lasagna rollup.
If you thin-cut your chicken you may want to lower the cooking time. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 C). Joanie cooked this chicken recipe uncovered. If your cheese begins to brown too quickly, you can also cover for part of the cooking time. The finished dish will flow with melted cheese and marinara. The taste will be “lasagna.”
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Lasagna Stuffed Chicken – The Taste of Lasagna with Marinara and Gooey Cheese
Keto Lasagna Stuffed Chicken is definitely a “Taste of Italy.” The cheese is gooey and flavored with homemade Marinara and Italian spices. This recipe will become a classic for your Keto Lifestyle. It is “comfort food” and definitely Tasty Low Carb!
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- 3 Chicken breasts (butterfly)
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese (whole milk)
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 cups Mozzarella (shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups Marinara sauce (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (dried)
- 2 tablespoons Basil (fresh, chiffonade)
Lasagna Stuffed Chicken
- Butterfly each chicken breast and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir the ricotta, egg, basil, orgeano, garlic, salt, and half of the grated mozzarella.
- Spoon marinara onto one half of each chicken breast. Spread the cheese mixture on top of the sauce and fold the chicken breasts over to close. Place the stuffed chicken breasts in a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Drizzle the rest of the marinara sauce over the chicken. Top with the rest of the mozzarella and sprinkle the top with Italian seasoning.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. Sprinkle basil on top and serve hot.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the basil and oregano. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the erythritol and salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for 5 minutes.