Keto Lime Curd Tart is an easy and delicious dessert for your Keto lifestyle. Joanie really outdid herself with this one. The sweet/tart taste lasts on your palate. The almond/coconut flour crust tastes like shortbread. It is light and flaky with just a touch of graininess and crunch in the crust. Her creation has all of the tang of Key Lime Pie, but with a curd style filling. The best part is a large slice will have only 6g of net carbs!
Lime curd is thick and made with traditional ingredients – fruit, butter, eggs, and sweetener. It is easy to transform a very decadent dessert into a low-carb masterpiece simply by substituting a sugar-free sweetener in place of the normal recipe sugar. Joanie likes to bake with Erythritol, but you could also use monk fruit or Sukrin Melis (powder sugar substitute). Her lime curd tart could just as easily be a lemon curd tart.
It is all about the lime juice. Please do not use bottled lime juice or concentrate. Limes are certainly abundant here in the Southwest and very inexpensive. In fact, we find the least expensive can be purchased bagged at our local Costco. You will only need 3/4 cup of fresh lime juice so we squeeze our own. We have an electric juicer for this task, but you can also use a hand held juicer. They are great tools to have available in the kitchen.
To avoid the carbs of wheat flours or graham cracker crumbs, Joanie used a combination of almond flour and coconut flour to form the crust. It is held together with only butter, but it works so well. We always use blanched almond flour (the husks are removed) in our baked recipes. In this recipe, the coconut flour absorbs more moisture than the almond flour and that allows for the crust to hold together better. We always use organic products.
We need a sweetener to add to the almond and coconut flour in the crust. Joanie’s tip is to make sure your Erythritol is totally dissolve in your saucepan when combined with the butter. This is done before you add the flours. Forming it into a tart baking dish is then easy – just press to form with your hands. It is much like forming the crust on our no-bake Key Lime Pie or our Low Carb Cheesecake. You can use mini-tart dishes or ramekins to produce a more personalized dessert or invest in a tart baking dish.
No water baths, no double boilers, and no thermometers. That is why we say this recipe is an easy dessert. Sweetened with a proven sugar-substitute, this Keto classic combines sweetness with the citrus taste that only lime can provide. The key is lime curd must be thickened to set up right and yield the desired consistency. Joanie says this requires patience at the stove and constant stirring until the filling coats the back of a spoon. When that occurs you are all set to bake and chill. We strongly urge you to allow your creation to sit overnight in your refrigerator. It is delicate – if you rush it, it will crumble.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Lime Curd Tart – An Easy and Delicious Keto Dessert
Keto Lime Curd Tart is an easy and delicious dessert for your Keto lifestyle. It is the perfect spring or summer treat. It is both light and tangy. A shortbread style crust adds a perfect contrast to the tartness of the filling. This one is definitely a Tasty Low Carb delight!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a medium sauce pan, melt the butter, Erythritol, and salt . Stir until Erythritol is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in almond and coconut flours. Press the crumbly mixture into a 9 inch tart baking dish to form the crust. Make small holes with a fork and bake for 10 minutes until golden in color.
- Reduce heat of oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, Erythritol, lime juice, and sea salt in a saucepan over medium heat until well mixed.
- Add the butter a few at a time, whisking constantly! The mixture will thicken and if it coats the back of a spoon it is ready.
- Pour filling into the crust and bake for 10 minutes, until set. Cool on a cooling rack until you are able to refrigerate. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or overnight.
- Top with Sukrin Melis or whipped cream and serve cold..