Keto Mexican Enchilada Frittata with Chicken is simply a perfect choice for breakfast or a main meal! Combine the two ideas for a delicious everyday brunch. And, it is just as tasty the following day. Cooked with Mexican spices and topped with Cotija cheese, chopped cilantro, and Joanie’s Authentic Keto Enchilada Sauce, it is “excelente.” You must try this Keto delight!
A frittata is basically a crustless quiche. It starts out on the stove top, but that is merely a prelude to a traditional baked-in-the-oven quiche. We love quiche recipes. Joanie seems to be continually making new quiche recipes with whatever is in the vegetable drawer, or using “must-go” items in the fridge! You might want to try some of our other Crustless Quiche-style Recipes:
- Keto Bacon Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- Crustless Quiche with Spinach and Ricotta
- Keto Crustless Taco Pie
- Egg Muffin Cups – Chorizo, Broccoli, and Cheese
- Sausage, Mushroom, and Pepper Breakfast Bake
We usually like to add mushrooms, broccoli, spinach or other vegetables to our quiche recipes. Chorizo is also a wonderful addition to any Southwestern or Mexican quiche recipes. It was also be a delicious flavor to combine with the enchilada sauce. However, shredded chicken picks up the unique Mexican ingredients in this creation.
A simple frittata is basically baked eggs, cheese, and cream. The variations come from the wild array of vegetables and meats that can be added. Joanie wanted this recipe to serve as a main meal, so she decided to use some leftover rotisserie chicken. You can make the same recipe with leftover beef, pork, sausage, or even shrimp.
A key ingredient for this recipe is our Authentic Keto Enchilada Sauce. Joanie has been heavily influenced by the Mexican restaurants we have enjoyed for the many years since we relocated from the East Coast to our present home in the Southwest. When we enjoy a delicious Mexican meal at our favorite Mexican restaurant she will try to replicate the taste with her own creations . . . only Keto! Joanie’s authentic enchilada sauce is really “the bomb.” It has the perfect blend of flavor and heat. Give it a try!
For additional heat you might add some chopped jalapeño in the mix. You could even add a bit more chili powder or garlic. Traditional frittatas would have potatoes, but not in a Keto version. Stick with the chicken and Mexican spices. Although she merely garnished our finished frittata with our enchilada sauce, Joanie suggest that you serve the frittata with a small bowl of extra enchilada sauce.
For this recipe we suggest using a 10.5 inch cast iron skillet. If you have a 12 inch skillet you may want to increase the basic ingredients so you will have a large fluffy frittata. Keep in mind that the frittata will fall somewhat when it cools. It is a good idea to allow the finished frittata to sit for a few minutes when removed from the oven.
We also have a smaller 6 inch cast iron skillet. That would be perfect if you not have a large family, or if you are not one who appreciates leftovers. We do suggest using a cured cast iron skillet. You can also coat your skillet with avocado oil to avoid sticking. Any skillet will do as long as it is oven proof to 400 degrees. Our main tip would be not to overcook the frittata. You do not want a rubbery tasting frittata. It will set up after it cools.
Joanie suggests not only including crumbled Cotija cheese before baking, but also garnishing with half of the crumbled Cotija while the frittata rests. You could also place it back in the oven for 2 minutes to melt the Cotija cheese on top. Either way it will be delicious. Joanie drizzled her enchilada sauce on top before cutting. But, as I mentioned, we also provide a side of sauce for those who want more. You can also serve the Keto Mexican Enchilada with Chicken on a small plate with a side of fresh avocado!
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Mexican Enchilada Frittata with Chicken – A Delicious One Skillet Wonder
Keto Mexican Enchilada Frittata with Chicken is a savory hearty Mexican inspired breakfast or main course. Serve with a side of avocado and more of Tasty Low Carb’s Authentic Enchilada Sauce for drizzling on every bite.
Keto Mexican Enchilada Frittata with Chicken
- 8 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup Heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Avocado oil
- ½ small Onion (finely diced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 can Rotel mild
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 4 ounces Cotija cheese (crumbled)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Enchilada sauce (Tasty Low Carb Authentic Recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Preheat 10.5 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- While preheating, crack eggs into a large bowl. Add the heavy cream and whisk lightly until combined. Fold in the grated cheese and set aside.
- Add the avocado oil to the heated skillet and coat the bottom and sides. add the diced onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Next, add the shredded chicken, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, can of rotel with juices, and salt and pepper to the skillet and combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cheese mixture and mix to combine. Cook for 3 minutes until sides begin to set.
- Sprinkle half the crumbled cotija on top and bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Top with the remaining cotija and let rest for 7 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro and drizzle enchilada sauce on top before serving. Provide additional enchilada sauce for individual servings.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.