Keto Refried Beans are the perfect substitute for classic Mexican pinto bean versions. Our recipe is low in carbs, looks similar to restaurant versions, and will balance your Mexican platter dinners. There are a few steps in the process. But, Joanie has come up with a way to duplicate one of our favorite Mexican restaurant sides, with a very unique taste. Once you get the steps down, this recipe is delicious, and so healthy.
We love Mexican food! Living in the Southwest, we enjoy excellent Mexican restaurants and have created many low-carb recipes to replace their high -carb versions. Our blog is filled with Keto Mexican recipes. However, the classic Mexican platter of a protein, rice, and refried beans is so high in carbs. As a result, we substitute cauliflower for making Spanish Rice, and Joanie has now created a low-carb refried bean substitute. As a result, we can now enjoy that classic Mexican restaurant plate, at home in a Keto version!
Two ingredients make this recipe possible. The first is to use eggplant in place of the pinto beans. Joanie says use zucchini or eggplant as substitutes for the refried beans. Both will work, so use either. You will have to peel, slice, and cube your eggplant or zucchini. They will cook down with the cubes becoming soft and then help to form a healthy paste in your blender. Yet, eggplant can be very bland. Joanie needed a second ingredient to boost the flavor without changing the consistency of the mixture.
As a result of much experimentation, she decided upon one of our favorite ingredients – Mexican pork chorizo. It adds flavor and the proper color of refried beans. The taste is fantastic! We use Mexican pork chorizo in a lot of recipes. Try chorizo in the following Tasty Low Carb recipes:
- Chorizo Egg Scramble with Cheese
- Egg Muffin Cups – Chorizo, Broccoli, and Cheese
- Keto Chorizo Queso Fundido
- Chorizo Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
- Low Carb Huevos Rancheros with Chorizo
The most difficult technique to master in preparing Keto Refried Beans is the blending process. Once you have softened the egg plant/zucchini cubes and chorizo in your skillet, the mixture is to be pureed in a blender. We usually like our Vitamix blender, but Joanie chose to use her Breville Food Processor for pulsing. This way she can control the consistency. Add a little water to make sure the mixture does not become too dry. Certainly, a good spatula on the sides of your food processor will come in handy in between pulses. This will make sure all of the mixture is blended. You will get the hang of it! Just check to get the basic consistency of refried beans.
Reserving some of the chorizo is another tip. This will allow you to change the heat of the finished paste to your palate. Joanie held back 1/3 of the chorizo and tasted the beans after pulsing a few times. You can add more chorizo and continue pulsing. Honestly, these will amaze you!
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Refried Beans – The Perfect Mexican Side that Tastes Like Original
Keto Refried Beans are the perfect substitute for classic refried beans! They are low in carbs and have the consistency of the original. You will add vegetables to your diet with a delicious taste. Enjoy your favorite Mexican platters with our Tasty Low Carb refried beans!
Keto Refried Beans
- Peel the eggplant using a peeler or pairing knife. Cut into 1 inch rounds and then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Cook chorizo over medium heat in a large skillet until slightly browned and broken up in smaller crumbles (about 10 minutes). Reserve about 1/3 of the chorizo.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil and eggplant cubes to skillet and cook down until cubes are browned slightly soft (about 15 minutes). Stir often to incorporate with chorizo. Add cumin, garlic powder, and salt while cooking.
- Add mixture and onion to a food processor. Pulse with two tablespoons of water until paste consistency of classic refried beans is formed. You will likely have to use a spatula and scrape the sides of the blender and may need additional water. Add more chorizo to taste between pulses. Garnish with queso fresco, jalapeño, and tomato.