Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus is a go-to Italian recipe in our family. We have served it to most of our family and friends at various dinner parties. It is so good! It is one of those recipes that causes hesitation, even from chefs who love to share. We usually find that when someone guards a recipe it is usually excellent. Well, we share excellent recipes. Since we have previously posted our recipe for Keto Ricotta Garlic Gnocchi, it is time to share another one of our favorites!
The ingredients may seem like an odd combination. The sauce is chicken stock based. Shrimp and asparagus share the plate with our Keto gnocchi. A delicious blend of flavors and textures. There is a lot going on with this recipe, but it works. You will taste the garlic and shallot flavors basted in butter. The gnocchi is soft and pillowy and each bite has the crunch of asparagus. It just blends well to produce an excellent flavor explosion. It is a “wow” recipe!
You need to start with our Keto Ricotta Garlic Gnocchi to prepare the dish. The pillowy and light dough gnocchi are definitely low carb and fairly easy to make. We love the taste of the ricotta and parmesan blend in the gnocchi. We also love the fact that they freeze well and will absorb any sauce you use. From a simple marinara to the chicken stock we use for this pasta dish, our gnocchi are perfect. We make them in large batches and freeze them for use in many of our Italian recipe creations. A variation would be to substitute “zoodles” for the gnocchi.
Asparagus adds a tasty vegetable and color. Cutting them into bite-sized pieces makes this recipe easy to devour. Pair the asparagus with sautéed shrimp and you have a perfect presentation and a Tasty Low Carb dinner. We use medium shrimp (20-25 count) – the bites are smaller. Since shrimp cook so quickly, this recipe is also ready in 15 minutes (if you have prepared the gnocchi in advance). We like to prepare our Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus in a non-stick wok.
Make sure your gnocchi are thoroughly thawed if previously frozen. They do not need to cook very long. We suggest no more than two minutes on medium heat since you do not want them to become too brown. We usually cook them on one side only, but for this recipe we suggest gently turning them while cooking. Just make sure they do not fall apart from too much turning. Definitely do not boil the gnocchi! They should be removed after two minutes and reserved for the end of the cooking process.
The asparagus pieces will cook in the chicken stock and should be slightly crunchy. Using a lid will speed this process and turning the heat up to medium-high will help. You do not want to cook the asparagus too long since they will become soggy and lose their color. As we said, this entire recipe comes together very quickly. That is why we like using a wok over medium-high heat.
Make sure your wok or non-stick skillet has a lid since the parmesan will be added at the end of the cooking process after the pan has been removed from the heat. The lid will preserve enough heat to slightly melt the parmesan. You can even add more parmesan for presentation after you plate the dish. Instead, we chopped some fresh basil for our presentation. Joanie has been growing a fresh basil plant in the kitchen for months!
Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus
Plate your Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus right away when finished. It should be hot and fresh! The gnocchi will absorb the flavor of the stock and the shrimp will be done perfectly. Serve this one to guests and we guarantee they will be asking for the recipe! It is simply delicious!
Keto Skillet Gnocchi with Shrimp and Asparagus
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 20 Gnocchi ("tasty low carb")
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 Shallot (sliced)
- 3 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 8 stalks Asparagus (trimmed, cut into four pieces)
- 1/2 cup Chicken stock
- 1 pound Shrimp (20-25 count, peeled and deveined)
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add about 20 "Tasty Low Carb Gnocchi" and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the after one minute. Remove and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter, shallots, and garlic to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes – stir until fragrant.
- Raise the heat to medoium-high. Add the broth and asparagus and cover. Cook until asparagus is barely tender – about 3 minutes. Salt and pepper the shrimp and add to the skillet. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Turning once.
- Uncover, lower the heat to medium, and add the gnocchi to the skillet, along with the lemon juice. Stir to incorporate and cook for 2 minutes. Take off the heat, add the parmesan and cover for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.