Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls are a perfect savory and cheesy appetizer for your next party! They are easy to prepare, freeze well, and go great with almost any dipping sauce. They are also the perfect finger-food for snacking. Years ago, they were a cocktail party staple and always seemed to appear around Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Joanie not only adapted this classic recipe for our Keto lifestyle, but she also kicked it up a notch and added a unique twist.
In this post, we have paired Joanie’s Keto creation with my favorite simple marinara sauce for dipping. I have been making this simple marinara sauce for years. It was always easy to make and fail-safe whenever we used to eat pasta. In fact, we still feature my Marinara Sauce in our Keto Manicotti with Beef and Sausage. As an alternative, try a spicy mayo recipe. Joanie added her Wasabi Mayo recipe for this post. It is so simple and tasty. Give them both a try!
Many spinach cheese ball recipes feature a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese with various herbs. We have tried them. They are really bland. Some bloggers use cream cheese in the mix, calling it a dip in the form of a baked ball. Clever, but again, they tend to be too bland. They definitely need to be paired with a dip with flavor and kick! Joanie tried a few of her own variations and settled on Cheddar cheese for her spinach balls – and a healthy amount of garlic for flavor.
I promised to reveal her unique twist, so here goes – Joanie loves a little bit of Creole seasoning for a kick. Just a teaspoon of Tony Chaceres will spice up the Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls! In addition, she likes the seasoning blend found in Everything Bagel Seasoning. If you have never tried it, it makes a Chaffle taste like a bagel and adds a perfect spice blend for this cheese ball recipe.
Above all, NO FROZEN SPINACH! It always seems to make any recipe soggy and it really has a bitter flavor compared with fresh organic baby spinach. Make your own! It is easy to wilt fresh spinach. Joanie often cooks spinach in her skillet and in a few seconds it wilts easily. For this recipe, simply letting spinach sit for a few minutes covered in boiling water will do the trick. However, you do have to drain it throughly before chopping, but the flavor stays.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
One final tip – bake the Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls on a baking rack that is placed inside a parchment lined baking pan. This will allow the heat to encircle the spinach balls as they cook. Then you will not overcook the bottoms. Joanie uses baking racks all the time. It is a great tip!
Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls – Serve with Homemade Marinara and Wasabi Mayo!
Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls served with a Homemade Marinara Sauce or a Wasabi Mayo will amaze you! Mainly, they will amaze you that they will disappear quickly. Try Joanie’s unique ingredients in this recipe – she definitely has a Tasty Low Carb winner!
Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls
Keto Spinach Cheddar Cheese Balls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the trimmed spinach leaves in a large mixing bowl and cover with very hot water. Cover and let sit for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Then squeeze out the water using your hands or a cheesecloth.
- Separate the spinach on your cutting board and finely chop. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and combine with a spoon. You should be able to roll into approximate 1 1/2 inch balls. You should have approximately 18 balls.
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper and add a baking rack to the pan. Space the balls on the rack and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with homemade marinara sauce or a homemade wasabi dip.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the olive oil and chopped onions and cook for 4 minutes until slightly translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the basil and oregano. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the erythritol and salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for 5 additional minutes.
Wasabi Mayo Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Sprinkle some Everything Bagel Seasoning on the top, as a garnish.