Our Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe is not just a soup. It is a meal, in itself! Zuppa Toscana has been a copycat recipe for many bloggers as it is a well-known Olive Garden soup. Tuscan soup has to feature sausage and spinach in a creamy chicken broth. Our Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe does just that and most importantly, it tastes great! This one is a real hearty soup with a flavor everyone will love. Just, no bread sticks!
We use hot Italian sausage in this recipe. You can use a sweeter Italian sausage, but the heat from the”hot” sausage is tempered by the cream and chicken stock. In fact, when combined with the bacon, it produces just the right amount of flavor. Try it once with crumbled hot sausage and we think you will see what we mean. We buy it in a bulk package and cook it in our best Dutch Oven. If you can only find hot sausage links, simply take off the casings and you will be fine.
Joanie likes to add cauliflower to her Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe. As a result, she ends up with a perfect pasta-like substitute that will add vegetables and thicken the broth. In addition, the wilted spinach is healthy and adds to the presentation. Remember, it is a chicken broth based soup with just a bit of cream – a real taste of Tuscany.
The first preparation tip applies to both the sausage and the onion. Do not crumble or chop them too fine. You want chunks of each to show in your plated soup. This will add a lot to the taste, as well. The pictures will help you see what Joanie means. They are basically the size of the cauliflower bites. This is definitely a Keto-friendly soup with the bacon fat and more added from the sausage. Enjoy that, Keto lovers! Do not skim the top of the soup.
A key tip is the timing of incorporating the spinach. Some people use Kale in the recipe, but we like Spinach. Joanie says it adds so much color and is so healthy. She takes the Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup off the heat when it is done and then drops in the spinach. Twelve ounces may seem like a lot when you first drop it in your stock pot, but it will wilt down quickly. It is delicious!
If you like the combination of spinach, bacon, and cheese in your recipes, you may also want to try our Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Spinach. It is a great way to serve an elegant chicken dinner. You may also substitute spinach for the basil in our Keto Manicotti with Beef and Sausage. Or, change the filling on the manicotti recipe and use ricotta and spinach for a delicious vegetable pasta.
Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe – A Soup That is Really a Meal!
Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe is better than the Olive Garden version. No bread sticks, but this one is truly a meal in itself! If you are looking for a delicious soup for “pasta night” that will make you feel like you are dining in Tuscany, this is the recipe for you. It is definitely Tasty Low Carb!
- 16 ounces Italian hot sausage (bulk variety, no casings)
- 5 slices Bacon (chopped)
- 1 White onion (coarsely chopped)
- 7 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- 6 cups Chicken broth (organic)
- 2 stalks Cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 12 ounces Spinach (fresh)
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese (shaved for garnish)
- Heat a large stock pot to medium-high heat. Place the chopped bacon in the heated pot. Sauté until crispy. About 5 minutes.
- Add the Italian sausage. Sauté until browned. Use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage into moderate chunks (not too fine). This should take about 5 minutes.
- Reserve the meats and drain most of the fat from the pan. Reduce the heat to medium and sauté the onion chunks (not too fine) for 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and chopped cauliflower. Salt and pepper goes in next. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pot with the heavy cream. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Drop in the fresh spinach and cook off the heat until wilted (about 2 minutes).
- Serve hot with a garnish of shaved parmesan.