Huevos Rancheros with Chorizo is a staple of breakfast lovers throughout the Southwest! It is hard to find a breakfast menu that doesn’t contain some form of this classic meal. It is hearty, healthy, delicious, and the perfect way to start your day. When you make it low carb, it is even better! Our recipe eliminates the potatoes, the beans, and the carb-laden tortilla. Our recipe ingredients are a perfect blend and definitely Tasty Low Carb!
“Rancher’s Eggs” are usually served with a ranchero sauce consisting of pureed tomatoes, peppers, onions, and seasonings. Ranchero sauce is sometimes replaced with an easy canned enchilada sauce. Corn tortillas were the standard base in Mexico, but as the dish spread variations emerged using flour tortillas, as well. Lettuce is now also very popular on Huevos Rancheros. We often see a topping of crumbled cheese and Mexican cream. Avocado and cilantro are on most versions of this classic dish here in the Southwest.
Meat is generally not part of the traditional recipe. Refried beans or black beans were usually the first layer on top of the tortilla. We love a simple scramble with eggs and chorizo, so it makes sense to incorporate this passion into our Heuvos Rancheros. We have also used leftover taco meat or beef roast instead of the chorizo.
Eggs are essential to the dish. Make them any way you like. We stick with “over easy.” The creamy “runny” yolk coats the other ingredients and yields great taste in every bite.
We have the solution for a low-carb tortilla. Jump to our post Taco Shells – Quick and Easy. This tortilla is so versatile and so low carb! With only 5 ingredients and ready in 2 minutes in the micro-wave you have the perfect base for Huevos Rancheros. And, no wheat or corn!
We use Mexican chorizo for this recipe. It is a pork sausage with some heat and is easily found in most grocery stores. You can also use Spanish chorizo that has much more of a smoked paprika flavoring. The Mexican version seems more authentic based upon the history of the recipe and what we find in restaurants throughout the Southwest.
In place of the ranchero sauce we simply add chopped tomatoes, green chiles, some chopped jalapeño, red onion, and cumin to our skillet. It is our version of a tasty salsa. If you prefer you can make the recipe even more simple by using your favorite salsa instead of our mixture.
We use a non-stick pan for cooking this recipe. Also, a warm oven or aluminum foil are important to keep the ingredients hot while cooking the subsequent steps in the recipe. If you don’t mind the dishes you can use more than one non-stick pan. In any case, the dish should be served hot.
Make sure that you cook the chorizo thoroughly. After cooking the chorizo, you may also wish to discard any excess fat, although it would be a tasty oil for cooking the vegetable mixture. The eggs are really your choice. Most restaurants here will ask how you want your eggs done. We like “over easy” but, as we mentioned, they can be fried, or simply “sunny-side up.”
Use your creativity on plating this delicious breakfast plate. Presentation does affect your taste buds and this recipe is definitely tasty! We like cilantro, some lettuce, even a few chopped tomatoes with avocado chunks, crumbled cheese, and Mexican cream.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Huevos Rancheros with Chorizo – A Mexican Style Breakfast and So Delicious!
If you are looking for a delicious breakfast or brunch recipe, this is the one for you. Make some low-carb tortillas tonight and tomorrow serve a delicious traditional Huevos Rancheros breakfast! All this taste and only 5g of net carbs! Let us know what you think.
Low Carb Huevos Rancheros with Chorizo
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil (extra virgin)
- ½ Red onion (chopped)
- 1 medium Tomato (minced)
- 4 tablespoons Green chiles
- 1 small Jalapeño (de-seeded and chopped)
- ⅛ teaspoon Cumin
- 4 ounces Chorizo (Mexican)
- 3 Tortillas (low carb)
- 3 large Eggs
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- ½ Avocado (chopped)
- 2 ounces Queso fresco (crumbled)
- 2 teaspoons Cilantro (chopped)
- ¼ cup Lettuce (shredded)
- Over medium heat in a non-stick pan, heat the low-carb tortillas in olive oil until crispy (flipping once). Place on a paper towel or cooling rack. You can also cut a tortilla into strips and deep fry them for garnish.
- In a separate skillet over medium heat, cook the chorizo for about five minutes until cooked thoroughly. Taste test! Set aside covered in foil to keep warm.
- Add more olive oil to the skillet and cooks the chopped onions for 2 minutes, add the green chilies, chopped jalapeño, and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside with foil and keep warm.
- Add the eggs to your pan and cook for 2 minutes until set, flip each egg and cook for 30 seconds so they are just done “over easy.” Salt and pepper to taste while cooking.
- To serve place a crunchy tortilla on a plate. Add chorizo on top, followed by the chilies, tomatoes, and onion mixture. The egg goes on next. Garnish with the crumbled cheese, avocado, lettuce, and cilantro. Serve hot.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.