Our Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza recipe turns a head of cauliflower into a healthy low-carb version of a classic snack or meal. It is great for “game day” or any day. Our version tonight added two cheese toppings. A combination of grated mozzarella and Colby Jack made this pie so tasty. The thin tomato slices replaced the more traditional pizza sauce and, of course, the pepperoni was the main attraction. Low carb pepperoni pizza will please a crowd – make more than one!
Pizza Crust Tips
You can use any toppings once you have mastered the basic crust recipe. The low-carb food blog world runs rampant with varying recipes of cauliflower crust, zucchini crust, and cheese only crusts. We like the cheese only crust, but adding cauliflower provides the consistency and firmness of “regular” crust. Each crust recipe will have its own twist with one basic missing ingredient – white carb laden processed flour. We like to use a blend of mozzarella and parmesan in our crust; this seems to work the best.
We also use a lot of garlic in our crust. If there is one secret ingredient in our basic crust recipe it is “creamed cheese.” The crust holds better with the cream cheese. Using a small amount of baking powder with almond flour makes a thicker crust with more rise. We make ours nearly a half inch thick before baking. We also make the outside rim of our crust higher so it will have that classic pizza crust look.
Making sure that you drain all of the water from the cooked cauliflower before baking is another key to a crunchy crust and we also recommend putting the cheese topping on before adding your tomato sauce (or in our case – the tomatoes). This way the crust will not be soggy after baking your pie.
Sometimes cauliflower can have a slightly bitter flavor. We mitigate this by adding a lot of garlic to the crust recipe. Feel free to experiment, after all, it is a pizza pie! Our low-carb pepperoni pizza recipe is just like a traditional flour based pizza except it is healthy, tasty, and low carb!
You can see that the cauliflower does produce a nice thick “bread like” crust. It is delicious. We also suggest a quality pepperoni or any meat. Too much fat in your meat toppings may be very LCHF, but it can also make your pie more soggy. We make one version with just fresh buffalo mozzarella and basil on top for those who want to avoid meat. That recipe will be coming soon – so check back, often. Vegetable toppings will add to the crunch. Try some onions, black olives, or broccoli for a change.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Keto Pepperoni Pizza – A Delicious Cauliflower Crust and Lots of Toppings!
The pizza crust recipe is also perfect for other bread dishes. Try it topped with a layer of parmesan to create a “cheesy bread” that is perfect with a marinara dipping sauce or a blasamic olive oil dipping sauce. The same cheesy bread can also be used to enjoy the tasty sauces created in garlic shrimp or steamed mussel recipes. Use your imagination – the uses are endless for cauliflower pizza crust. Enjoy!
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza
- 24 pieces pepperoni (thinly sliced)
- 1 tomato (thinly sliced, seeds removed)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup Colby Jack cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Break the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until fine, or use pre-made organic cauliflower rice. Place in a small bowl and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Drain excess moisture by squeezing the steamed cauliflower in paper towels or a thin dish towel (cheese cloth). When moisture is removed let the cauliflower cool on paper towels.
- In a large bowl combine the cooled cauliflower with all other crust ingredients and mix together until it forms a dough ball.
- Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper then form the dough into a round pizza circle about 1/3 inch thick. Make the edges higher to form your crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool the crust on a cookie rack for 10 minutes.
- Top with mozzarella and Colby Jack cheese then tomato slices and pepperoni. Cook in the 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.