Our Low Carb Shaved Vegetable Salad is a delicious summer salad. You should definitely add this to your salad lunch-time routine. Topping raw shaved and sliced vegetables with a delicious tangy vinaigrette and some parmesan cheese yields a light and airy dish. It is a salad you can enjoy for any meal. It is low carb and certainly healthy. Our recipe also allows for creativity by choosing your favorite vegetable mix.
You may also want to try two other delicious summertime salads we have previously posted:
Many salad vinaigrettes for raw vegetables start with lemon juice. If you have a favorite based on lemon juice, go ahead. But, Joanie loves her dressing made simply with vinegar, olive oil, honey and just a bit of Dijon mustard. The Dijon adds a lot. The vinegar flavor is cut by the honey. Don’t be wary of the honey. The amount is so small that the carbs are still low. It is delicious! The pairing with the raw vegetables is perfect. The dressing will amaze you. It has a similar taste to a slaw dressing.
Joanie starts with a bed of fresh arugula and then tops it with thinly shaved raw vegetables. Use your favorites, or what looks fresh at your market. Zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots add color and flavor. Combine with red onion, radish, and asparagus and you have a variety of textures and tastes. We also love Jicama in fresh salads. It is similar to a potato/turnip combination. Native to Mexico, we find them in abundance in the Southwest. They are becoming readily available everywhere. They add so much to a salad. You can also find them on-line by clicking the word Jicama.
The vinaigrette is simple to prepare. Mix all of the ingredients (except for the olive oil) in a small bowl. Then when you add the olive oil, whisk rapidly to emulsify the dressing and further combine the ingredients. You can also use a mini-chopper and drizzle the olive oil as you continually pulse. Allowing the vinaigrette to cool in the refrigerator will meld the flavors together. Joanie stores this flexible dressing in a mason jar. It will keep well.
You can cut the vegetables into strips simply by using a potato slicer or peeler. A knife would be better for the radish. You can also add some fanciness with your radish or even the zucchini by using a Spiralizer. If you prefer perfect elongated strips for your vegetables, try using a Mandoline. Presentation means a lot with this salad, since you are emphasizing the fresh vegetables. Experiment, and then marvel at your creativity.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Low Carb Shaved Vegetable Salad – Delicious with a Light Vinaigrette
Low Carb Shaved Vegetable Salad is the perfect summer go-to salad. You have the advantage of fresh vegetables without all the fuss of cooking or blanching. Your kitchen stays cool and serving with a light vinaigrette and topped with shaved parmesan will produce a definite Tasty Low Carb dish! Make one for lunch today!
Shaved Vegetable Salad
- 1 Zucchini (shaved)
- 2 Carrots (shaved)
- 1 Yellow squash (shaved)
- 2 stalks Asparagus (cut 1/2 inch on the bias)
- 5 Radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 Red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 Jicama sticks (shaved)
- 6 ounces Arugula
- 1 ounce Parmesan (thinly sliced garnish)
- 1/4 cup Almonds (slivered)
- Stir all ingredients (except olive oil) together in a small bowl.
- Rapidly whisk the olive oil into the bowl or use a mini-food processor.
Shaved Vegetable Salad
- Shave the zucchini, carrots, and yellow squash with a vegetable peeler into thin strips.
- Cut the fibrous end of the asparagus and discard. Cut remaining asparagus on the bias into 1/2 inch strips.
- Slice the radish with a sharp knife into thin slices or use a spiralizer. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Add all of the vegetables and shaved jicama sticks to a medium bowl and combine.
- Plate the mixed shaved vegtables on a bed of arugula and pour dressing on top. Garnish with shaved parmesan strips and slivered almonds and serve.