Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce is a kicked up gourmet burger for your Holiday cookout. Hamburgers fresh off the grill with that charcoal taste, potato salad, deviled eggs, baked beans, and watermelon. Those memories are etched in our minds and just mentioning the Holiday has an impact on our senses – especially taste and smell. Times may change, but the palate wants what the palate wants! For your next holiday cookout we suggest our Onion Burger with a Gruyère Fondue Sauce!
A burger made with onions is a classic and cheese is the usual topping. However, everyone today seems to have felt the Rachel Ray “effect.” The self-proclaimed “Queen of the Burger” has certainly made more variations than one can count. So why should we be any different? Let’s take the classic burger and cheese and add some flair – low carb, of course.
We keep our burger simple. An 80-20 blend is our choice – the fat adds so much flavor and moisture. No one likes a dry burger. To the basic ground beef mix we add chopped onion, some garlic, and Worcestershire. In the past, we often made a burger using our basic meatloaf recipe. Lately, we just want that great grilled flavor of a simple burger and add the toppings to create a unique recipe.
The Gruyère cheese came to mind this year. Many will use a classic American cheese, or swiss, or even provolone to top a burger. Gruyère melts well and has a unique taste. You will find it in a quiche or fondue and in melted cheese sandwiches and cordon bleu recipes. It is more frequently used in French onion soup. Our fondue sauce works well with a burger. It is creamy, nutty, and with a bit of wine will add a new memory for the 4th.
The finishing touch on our holiday burger will continue the French theme with deeply caramelized onions. We make our onions with thyme and Worcestershire and a good bit of butter. A great topping for any burger, and especially good for our Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce. The onions need to cook low and slow.
What would a burger be without a tasty bun? For many months we have been eating bun-less burgers or in a lettuce holder. For this holiday we went all out and used a large muffin pan and our low-carb bread recipe to make a Tasty Low Carb hamburg bun. Follow our low-carb bread recipe and fill a “mini round cake” pan 2/3 full. You will have a perfect hamburg roll.
Start with the caramelized onions first since they will take some time to turn a deep caramel color and soften. The secret is to cut your onions thin (a sweet onion is best) and brown them slowly in butter on low heat. We like a little thyme and the Worcestershire near the end of the process adds both color and flavor. Be patient – you will be rewarded with a great topping.
The key to the Guyère fondue sauce is the white wine. A dry wine works best. Try a Riesling or Chardonnay for a stronger flavor with the mellow cheese. The fondue sauce should pour easily over the burger without being too runny. If you remember the fondue years you will enjoy the taste of the beef topped with a fondue sauce.
Assemble your Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce in the usual way. A little dab of the sauce on the bottom of the bun, lettuce, then the burger. More fondue sauce on top of the burger and then capped with the caramelized onions liberally placed before topping with your low-carb bun.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce – Call it an Onion Soup Burger!
Try some garlic parmesan zucchini fries on the side or our smoky bacon deviled eggs to complete the meal. Have a cold low-carb beer, enjoy the Holiday, and our simple, but tasty Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce. Tastes like onion soup!
Onion Burger with Gruyère Fondue Sauce
Gruyere Fondue Sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet, pre-heated medium.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the melted butter and cook for 5 minutes until they wilt. Add the thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for another 10 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and cook for another 10 minutes – set aside.
Gruyere Fondue Sauce
- Simmer the wine in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the Gruyere cheese a little at a time until all melted – storing as you go to form a creamy sauce.
- Add the nutmeg and sea salt. Keep warm until ready to assemble – consistency should be easy to pour over the burger, but not too runny. Adjust with more cheese or wine until just right.
- Mix all of the burger ingredients in a large bowl with your hands until well incorporated. Form into patties and press your thumb in the middle of each to indent for even cooking.
- Pre-heat grill pan to medium and spray lightly with olive oil spray. Fry until the burgers are done – about ten minutes. Flip only once and do not press down.
- Assemble as follows – On bottom of low-carb burger bun, spread a dab of Gruyère fondue sauce. Follow with a piece of lettuce. Then the burger and pour Gruyère cheese fondue sauce over the burger. Finally, place a good helping of caramelized onions on top and then add the burger bun lid.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.