Breakfast is usually one of the easiest low-carb meals. Bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, ham and eggs – all low in carbs and high in fat. Our breakfast today was a sausage, mushroom, and pepper bake with plenty of cheese and a drizzle of “truffle oil.” Is it a casserole? Is it a frittata? Could it be a large omelette? It is a delicious bake that will delight for breakfast or even the latest trend . . . “breakfast-for-dinner.”
Our breakfast bake recipe is easily adaptable. A variation would be to use ham or bacon. They are equally delicious. Feel free to try different fillings. We have always enjoyed mixing left over roast beef shaved and cooked with scrambled eggs – an oven bake recipe would taste great with that combination. We love mushrooms and eggs together and since we had yellow, orange, and red bell peppers handy Joanie decided to use these for our filling with a sweet pork sausage.
Preparation and Tips
Joanie actually roasted the peppers on the stove-top for our recipe to add a smoky taste to the bell peppers. The open-burner flame charred the pepper skin which was easily removed after placing the roasted peppers in a plastic bag for a few minutes. The skin peeled off easily. Although this step is not necessary, since the peppers are then chopped and baked.
You can also add more heat by using chopped jalapeños instead of bell peppers. You may even substitute hot “Italian” sausage for even more taste. Joanie used a creole seasoning when blending her eggs and cheese. It is her signature touch. Our recipe calls for cooking 30 minutes, but ovens do vary; Joanie treated this dish like a cake and inserted a toothpick after the cook time expired. It came out clean, so she declared it ready!
The Secret Ingredient
Cream cheese holds the bake together. It will not fall like a disastrous soufflé. The parmesan adds a nutty bold flavor and the cheddar not only binds the dish together, but it also adds a beautiful color as it bakes. This three-cheese blend works best in a breakfast bake. Try Monterey Jack instead of the cheddar if you decide to use jalapeños.
But, the secret to our recipe is a drizzle of white “truffle oil” on each serving. There is something special about the flavor of truffle infused olive oil that brings out the egg flavor. It makes the dish!
Our recipe calls for using an 8 x 8 x 2 inch square baking dish. If you decide to use a larger rectangular baking dish for a family breakfast you should increase the ingredients proportionately. The listed portion size is 9 small pieces; but, the carbs are low enough and the taste great enough that dividing the dish into 6 servings makes sense! Chives are a nice onion flavor garnish and a little extra truffle oil on each plate will make every bite tasty.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Sausage, Mushroom, and Pepper Breakfast Bake – A Keto Breakfast that is Also Delicious for Dinner!
Sausage, Mushroom, and Pepper Breakfast Bake is delicious with Truffle Oil! Regardless of the size of your portion, try your favorite morning coffee or tea with our Tasty Low Carb creation. You will be making our Keto breakfast bake recipe often – we guarantee it!
Sausage, Mushroom, and Pepper Breakfast Bake
- 9 ounces sausage (crumbled)
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 ounces portobello mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 ounces red bell peppers (chopped)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 8 eggs (large)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- white truffle oil (drizzle)
- chives (chopped)
- Cook the sausage in a skillet on medium-high heat. Break apart into chunks. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Add butter and onion to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- The chopped mushrooms and chopped peppers should be added to the pan and sauted for 5 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat, add the sausage and mix in the cream cheese until melted and well combined with the mixture.
- Mix the eggs, parmesan, and cheddar in a large bowl.
- Put the sausage mixture in the bottom of your casserole baking dish that has been buttered. Pour the egg mixture over the top and slightly mix with the sausage mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 °F oven for 30 minutes. Top with drizzled truffle oil and chives. Serve hot.
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.