Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing is a classic salad from the past that definitely deserves a comeback. How can you lose? The eggs are creamy, the mushrooms are meaty, the red onions are crunchy, and the spinach is soft. It is the perfect salad blend. And, oh, the hot bacon dressing! We are talking about big flavors. And, what could be better than smoky salty bacon? This one is a real Keto winner.
Years ago this salad was prominent on the menu of virtually every New York- style steakhouse in America. We are not sure why it fell out of favor. Perhaps it was the fact that it needed to be served hot. Restaurants like those pre-made salads that can hit the table quickly. Perhaps it was the low-fat craze that so many adhered to for far too long. Regardless, once you try it again, you will be hooked.
The base of the salad is baby spinach. It is so soft and delicate, and so healthy. An added plus is it will wilt easily when it meets the hot bacon dressing. We use baby spinach in many recipes. Joanie makes a delicious Easy-Peasy Creamed Spinach recipe with wilted spinach. We also love it incorporated in our Keto Zuppa Toscana Recipe, again wilted in the hot soup. Joanie also uses spinach in every quiche she makes (try our Crustless Quiche with Spinach and Ricotta). These recipes would not work with iceberg lettuce, Romaine, or a spring mix. Stick with the spinach!
However, the star of this creation is bacon. Or, more correctly, bacon fat! Sure, it may not sound appealing. But, it is the key ingredient and serves as the base for the dressing. It is a sweet-and-sour style dressing. For that taste, Joanie uses Sukrin Gold (brown sugar substitute) and red wine vinegar. The stone ground mustard also adds a needed tang. Just stick with classic pork bacon. Turkey bacon just will not work.
Prepare your eggs and mushrooms in advance since your dressing will come together quickly. Joanie has a tried and true method for hard boiling the eggs. You can find that in our Easy Keto Egg Salad post. She likes slightly cooked mushroom slices for her Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing. Some prefer using uncooked mushrooms, but we both like the texture and look of cooked mushrooms. They absorb some of the bacon flavor since she sautés them in bacon grease.
Make sure you have your salad prepared and ready to plate before making the hot bacon dressing. We like to keep the dressing warm and drizzle on plated salads. That way you will get the flavor in every bite. The dressing will come together quickly once you begin making the sauce. Whisking quickly and vigorously is essential so the dressing emulsifies.
Follow us on Social Media – See the Latest Keto Products
Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing – A Warm Dressing with Tasty Ingredients
Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing has all the ingredients for the perfect salad. The dressing can also be used over Brussels Sprouts or even green beans with almonds. Enjoy this delicious salad tonight and keep this one for your Keto collection! It is definitely Tasty Low Carb!
Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing
- 12 ounces Baby Spinach
- 8 ounces Bacon
- 3 ounces Mushrooms (about 6 sliced)
- ¼ Red onion (sliced)
- 3 Eggs (hard boiled, sliced)
Spinach Salad with Keto Bacon Dressing
- Wash and dry baby spinach and place in a large bowl. Prepare the mushrooms, eggs, and shallots.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp (6 minutes). Set aside on paper towels. Set aside the bacon drippings in a cup.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and stir for 2 minutes until slightly cooked. Remove and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add the diced shallot and garlic powder and stir for 2 minutes. Then add the bacon grease, Sukrin Gold, red wine vinegar, and mustard. Stir to combine.
- Pour the hot dressing over the spinach and top with mushrooms, bacon, eggs, and red onions. Toss and serve.
- Some prefer to serve with raw mushrooms – we prefer them slightly cooked. You can substitute Dijon mustard for the stone ground mustard. Feel free to add chicken breast meat, avocado, cherry tomatoes, radish, and even strawberries for variety.
- Make sure the bacon you buy is labeled “Gluten Free.”
Amazon Affiliate Program -> Tasty Low Carb is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or Amazon ad will re-direct you to Amazon.com. For your purchases, we may receive a small consideration that will help us build and maintain our website.